"Why Shakespeare?" - Tom Hanks and Other Artists Give Back

I am really interested in the ways artists "give back" to their communities. I think the payoff is cyclical. Many artists have been known to vacillate between narcissism and debilitating insecurity. When we put others first, it can center and ground us. Our focus shifts from competition, commerce, and presentation of the self to the joy, well being, and inspiration of others.

This past year, I became involved in BookPALS: Performing Artists for Literacy in Schools. It was founded by the non-profit Screen Actors Guild Foundation. This is a great way to get started, and you don't have to be a member of SAG to volunteer. Artists are needed for reading stories in the classroom, recording stories on community phone lines, and writing letters to students through programs like PencilPALS. To find out more, go to:
www.storylineonline.net
www.bookpals.net
www.sag.org -
(go to the Divisions and Branches drop down list to locate your area and get more information)

I taught theatre for 10 years, and this is another great way to give back. I had a chance to share my love for performing arts with students who were just getting started. The classroom lent itself to many opportunities to inspire young artists as well as adult students just getting in touch with their gifts and courage. And ultimately, I was the one who was inspired.

That's why my new Good Find is a short film called "Why Shakespeare?". Its a documentary from director Lawrence Bridges that's used by the National Endowment for the Arts for its Shakespeare in American Communities Initiative.

The Documentary Features:
Chiwetel Ejiofor
Tom Hanks, Michael Richards, Martin Sheen, Julie Taymor, Michael York, Christina Applegate, Ben Donenberg, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Dana Gioia, Bill Pullman, and William Shatner, and includes a fun gag reel ending.

We get a glimpse into the ways that Shakespeare's works continue to transform lives. Movie stars to former at risk youth share personal stories, perform excerpts, and share their passion for Shakespeare. One of the high lights for me is an incredible performance from Hamlet by Chiwetel Ejiofor. The documentary is only 21 minutes in length, but the Special Features section contains extended interviews with the actors, students, and teachers featured in the film.

 If you're a teacher, you can get this documentary for FREE! That's right I said FREE! Follow this link to order your Educational Toolkit: http://www.shakespeareinamericancommunities.org/education/

Being willing to "give away" my gifts has allowed me to find a measure of inner balance. I don't need permission or approval, and I don't expect anything in return. It helps me to stay focused, to continue to create, and to maintain a level of confidence when I don't have that next paid gig. I hope you find great ways to share your creativity and help others, and when you do, let me know!

Popular posts from this blog

Actress Post #7 - The Point of Acting Part 2

Back to the Beginning