Current Employment, Developing Projects, Goals:

Sometimes stuff happens...and then more stuff happens...and then time starts passing...and the next thing we know we've lost complete track of things we said we would do; projects we wanted to pursue; people we meant to follow up with. 

We didn't mean to, but sometimes the day to day gets in the way: Dishes, laundry, work, bills, drop off the kid(s), pick up the kid(s), make the bed, feed the cat, feed us, homework with the kid(s), read to the kid(s), everyone to bed on time...

And then there's the just as long weekly/monthly/quarterly list: Wash the car, change the oil, mop the floors, dust, vacuum, doctor's appts., dentist appts., clean the bathroom, and on and on.

And the daily/weekly things we want to do for well being: Meditate; exercise; journal; pray; playtime; time with/for friends, etc.

And for our career: Practice acting everyday; blog; social media updates; networking events; making connections, and on and on and on...

And before we know it, we're completely overwhelmed -

This is me overwhelmed....



For example, quite awhile ago (a long while ago) before I went on an unplanned hiatus from blogging, I had said I would report in on my employment, projects, goals, etc. and I never did. Its not that I think there are thousands upon thousands of people waiting with baited breath for my next report, and I've let them all down. Its about keeping my word, being accountable, and staying on top of those things I value in my life.

Part of the problem is that we can not perform at 100% capacity in all things, all the time, in every given day. But we are taught, or we believe, or we insist that we can, and this leads to our being overwhelmed.

The point of overwhelm leads us to two choices -

a. feel like a failure and give up 
or 
b. take a breath and begin again, with a new approach 

This past year, I began studying the art of prioritizing. And yes, I do think its an art. And I'm not just talking about time management, I'm talking about meaningful life management, or another way to put it - Value Management. What do I value most in my life? How would I rate these values? 

A great resource is a book called The Happiness Trap, and you can find free resources and support online at www.thehappinesstrap.com


I quickly discovered that I may value many things, but I can't approach them all at a level 10 every minute of every day. That type of thinking will only lead me to feeling like a daily Failure. The Happiness Trap resources helped me to break things down and see where I needed to put my attention at different times, allowing for flexibility and re-evaluation along the way. There's room for "making mistakes" or "dropping the ball" but with a whole lot more forgiveness. It's really made a difference for me and I hope that its an approach that will help you too.

With that being said, here's my current follow up to the post:

"Actress Catch Up and Keeping My Promises"

Current Employment - 
1. I have a day job that I enjoy - Finally! (New term "thrival job" from Inside Acting Podcast)

2. I also started a side business - "DreamPlay Kidz" as a Music and Movement teacher working primarily with preschool children.

3. I'm working regularly as a paid church soloist, and worship team performer.

4. I started off 2014 with an advanced booking to perform a one woman musical review in September.

Volunteer Work -
This past December I joined the South Mountain Community Choir in their annual production of Handel's "Messiah".

Developing Projections -
I'm hosting a podcast that despite many delays is releasing soon.

Goals/Upcoming -
Release the Living the Dream Acting Podcast!
Start work on my short film.
Get my demo reel together.

As always, thank you for stopping by!

Remember to "Like Us" on Facebook at www.facebook.com/LivingtheDreamActing!

Popular posts from this blog

Actress Post #7 - The Point of Acting Part 2

Back to the Beginning